Monday, August 2, 2010

August Already?!?

Wow, summer has gone so quickly. But we've enjoyed every bit of it. Not much to update on actually, and my camera is not working at the moment so no pics to upload either.

Mid-end of July brought Robynn's birthday, the Ellis County Fair, a Landwehr reunion (my maternal grandmother's family), and Dustin's birthday. Chloe and Isaac always assume there is going to be a big party for each birthday and don't understand that not everyone wants party hats and streamers. I'm sure I'm missing an event or two but most of all we just had a really enjoyable July.

Our garden is UNBELIEVABLE. Wow wow wow. The lettuce was early summer and was fantastic. Since it's an early crop we also planted watermelon in the same place and the timing was perfect. So now we have all of the following THRIVING in our garden: tomatoes, carrots, onions, lots of green beans, cucumbers, cantaloupe, peppers (red, yellow, green, and HOT), and watermelon. I just can't believe how well everything is doing. We've already had 6 cantaloupe! Yum! Our cucumbers are doing well and we pick probably at least a dozen or more each week. The green beans have been great. Definitely my favorite. The tomatoes are really growing but we got two different plants than expected. I wanted two plants that had the cluster/vine tomatoes and they ended up being cherry tomatoes also. So now we have 3 cherry tomato plants and I'm not joking...I pick about 75 every two days. Last night I picked 110. That's a LOT of cherry tomatoes. Our 3 big tomato plants are just now starting to have fruit turn red. As far as the watermelon, we have 6 that are growing well now (larger than zucchini). There are 10 cantaloupe (at least) that are larger than softball size. Our colored peppers are doing well and the hot pepper plant is out of control. One plant, I picked 32 hot peppers last night and that was only about half of them growing. Quite a successful garden!!

I'll try to get some garden pictures uploaded. It does look really nice and both Royce and I enjoy spending time in the garden. It takes a lot of up-keep but it's relaxing to us both.

Not much else on the Purinton home front. I'm home with the kiddos today because the daycare provider went on a trip back to her home. I always enjoy the extra time with them and am glad that my schedule can be flexible to do so.

Okay, enjoy August and those of you who have to go back to school in a few weeks I hope it cools down a little bit!

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of the garden. We picked our first cantaloupe 2 days ago. It was the size of a volleyball! But, that's about all we've gotten. Potatoes didn't do well, beets...we got 3. Cabbage looks good, but not much of it. Haven't gotten any tomatoes yet. My beans bloom, but nothing to pick yet. (And I wanted to do lots of canning!) Enjoy the garden...expecially all those tomatoes. Better yet, bring some down! I'd be happy to help you eat them!

    ReplyDelete