Monday, November 23, 2015

Headed home on Day 9 -- Happy 12th Anniversary

August 16, 2015
We woke early to say good-bye to Scotland and to the Queen's deer that had been on the wall in our hotel room.  It was on our 12th anniversary that we started our trek back home to Kansas.  Because of the time change it was going to be a LONG day.  We left at 10am Scotland time and we landed in Wichita at 5pm Central time.  But it took about 14 hours instead of just the 7 hours the clock showed.  Not to mention the drive back to Hays and of course, seeing the kiddos!
 

All of our travel plans went smoothly.  The only obstacle we encountered was the sword we got Isaac for a souvenir.  Matt and Morgan had given us the heads up that we may have issues even though it is a plastic sword.  It's a sword none-the-less!  With an encounter at each security station I managed to keep it with me the whole time -- whew! 
 
We got home with souvenirs in tow.  After dropping them off at home we got to Robynn and Dustin's and were welcomed outside by our four kids and Stella.  We had an awesome group hug and headed inside to pass of their portion of the gifts. 
Stella - "Aunt Maggie, Charlie is still here!"
Me - "Oh good, Sweetie!  Thank you for watching him while we were gone!"
Stella - "And he's still yellow, too!"
Me - "Whew!  I'm glad we didn't come home to a brown dog!"
Stella gets an A++ for dog watching!  Love that girl.
 
Royce and I were exhausted and wanted to be home with our family.  We handed out souvenirs... everything from miniature taxi's and busses from England, new mugs to drink hot cocoa that have a little storage place for their 'biscuits' (cookies), mid-evil coins from Warwick Castle, coffee mugs for Royce and I, a scarf from the weaving mill for myself, golf apparel for Royce, fancy purses for the twins, a new back-pack from Scotland for Chloe, and Isaac's knight's helmet and sword.  It was like Christmas in August!
 
But we were home.  We had a safe trip and our family was together again. 
 
I can't thank Royce enough for taking me on this trip.  When Morgan and Matt moved there two years ago I told him I really wanted to go.  The majority of the time the past two years we truly didn't think there was any way at all for us to be able to make the trip.  But the stars aligned when we saw a glimpse of hope and this man made the trip happen for us.  While he was indifferent on whether we went or not, he simply perused it because he knew how important it was to me.  I wanted this trip for us.  I wanted to travel together and take advantage of this amazing opportunity.  He worked hard to make it happen.  I worked hard to make it happen.  A trip like this with four kids to place doesn't just happen on it's own and certainly doesn't pay for itself.  It was a full time job from the beginning of July when we booked the flights until the night we got home.  But every step of the way I assure you I appreciated his efforts in making this dream trip come true.  Happy 12th Royce!  You are the best father and husband a girl could ask for.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment