Thursday, September 29, 2016

Summer Tutoring

I might jump around a little while getting caught up but I'll do my best to share as much as I can. 
That's the biggest bummer about blogging a few months delayed is that I feel I miss some of the stories.  So I'll try to get them down whether they are in order or not. 

Amelia and Caroline started tutoring in June to try to keep them in touch with some academics through the summer.  They LOVED tutoring with Gail and never felt like they were working on anything...because everything was activity based.  After learning about money and coins Gail had a story she shared with everyone she knew.  Here is how the conversation went:

Gail:  "See a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck!  A penny is the only coin that is a different color.  Dimes are little like diamonds, and nickels are smooth.  These are some ways to tell the difference in coins."

Amelia & Caroline: "What are cents?  What does cents mean?"

Gail:  "If you have 25 pennies it is the same as 25 cents, which is the same as a quarter.  If you have 100 pennies, or 100 cents, it is the same as a dollar.  So which would you rather carry around with you?  100 pennies would be so full in your pocket and would be so heavy.  Could you drag 100 pennies around all day?  Or would you rather carry a $1 bill that is light and folds easy in your pocket? 

Amelia said she would of course like to carry the dollar, and Gail agreed that's what most people say.

But not Caroline.  Caroline wanted to carry the 100 pennies.  Gail asked, "Why on earth would you want to carry the 100 pennies instead of the dollar bill?"

Caroline's response?  "Think of all the good luck you would have." 

This girl thinks outside the box! 

Caroline had another time this summer where her creative thinking was apparent.  She asked me for a whole banana.  I told her that I didn't want to waste any so to please start by only eating half of a banana.  A few minutes later this is what she handed me:



I immediately burst out laughing and Caroline was so confused.  She looked at me and genuinely asked me why I was laughing.  She said, "Momma, you told me to only eat half, why are you laughing?  I listened to what you asked me"  At this point I realized she had no idea what was so cute about this.  "Nothing honey.  You didn't do anything wrong at all.  Thank you for following the rules."  Of course I asked her if she was still hungry for the rest of the banana and she replied, "Nope, half was enough!"  Oh I love this girl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment