Monday, June 23, 2014

Jamie's USAFA Graduation

May 28, 2014
This date was also Amelia and Caroline's 3rd birthday! 
______________________________
 
Five years ago I flew by myself from Kansas City to Denver to attend Jessica's graduation.  It was such an amazing experience for me I told Royce that if we had the opportunity to go again when it was Jamie's turn then NO EXCUSES -- WE WERE GOING.  And that we did.  Not a single bit of my memory let me down in experiencing this ceremony as well.  I loved all of the same parts of it.  It was an absolutely beautiful Colorado day and while it did get hot in the stadium the setting was just perfect for a nice day outside. 
 
 
Marching on the field.  This part just gives me goose bumps because
I love how the formation just inches along. 




I believe I have Jamie either at or on the ramp on the left here.


One of the neatest parts of the ceremony (in my motherly opinion) is how they include the children.  Gotta give them something to look forward to if they have to listen to 40 squadrons being announced!!  I had prepped Chloe and Isaac about this part and it was so very cool that they could participate.  My helpful cousins Jessica and Mark assisted me in getting the kids to the correct section so they could be part of the group of kids who ran onto the field to collect the tossed cadet hats.  Isaac was a little nervous about going without me but I was so very proud of him for following through on something he REALLY knew was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. 

Chloe, on the other hand, was a woman on a mission.  While she was happy to have her brother out there with her she was not in any way going to slow down and wait for him.  She's in the long blue skirt (with KSU hat) and he's in the red polo chasing after!


The hats are tossed!  And at that VERY instant....

...the Thunderbirds are directly on top of the stadium.
The timing is nothing short of amazing! 
 
Bone chilling thunder!   

Isaac has a hat!

And so does Chloe!

Chloe was playing it cool & put together while Isaac couldn't hide his excitement.  
It is tradition for the graduates to put a message/money/phone number in the hats so the kids can have a special treat when finding the hat.  While Isaac's came up empty Chloe's had $20.14 along with a name and phone number.  **Later in the day I texted a picture of Chloe wearing her hat, along with a few details, to Chloe's cadet Jeremy Butler.  He responded, was so excited to get the picture, and he said he had some classes with Jamie.  Chloe was so excited to get a response back from him.   We thanked him for his service and wished him luck in his upcoming pilot training.** 

Jessica, Mark, and I decided to stay down low to watch some of the air show since everyone else in the stadium seemed to be blocking the isles. 

Yep, they're upside-down! 
 
Royce had some battles with Caroline but I think Amelia really enjoyed the show. 
I wish I could have been up high with them to help but I'm soooo extremely happy that Chloe and Isaac got their hats.  They wore them the rest of the day and even on the drive home.  Royce and I looked back and saw two cadets in our back seat. 
Thank you, Jessica and Mark, for helping with Chloe and Isaac! 
 
Robynn & Dustin got a neat picture with the Falcons name showing in the stadium with the Thunderbirds overhead.  If watching an air-show like that doesn't make you feel All-American I'm just not quite sure what else would.  Such a huge debt of gratitude for all of our cousins and spouses who serve our country. 


We were able to catch up with Jamie while exiting the stadium!

The reception was at a nice outdoor park and the food was delicious! 

Amelia sure does love her brother. 

 

Robynn, Dustin, and Stella gave Amelia & Caroline their birthday gifts.  They sure do love their Frozen books.  Great-Grandma Donna & Dink gave them some gifts too. 

Hair clippies got quite the gasp from them!

 
I know I speak for Robynn as well when I say how proud I am of our cousins!  I feel so fortunate to get to witness the events at the Academy (both weddings and graduations) and think it's so great that our kids have had exposure to those events on base as well.  Now if we could only experience more of the locations they are stationed...upcoming trips to LA or England, anyone?   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment