Saturday, June 23, 2012

"a REAL emergency"

We have encountered some times when, for example, I am inside with the twins and Isaac while Royce is outside with Chloe that I would tell Isaac to go get Royce for something. Maybe I needed a hand with the girls, maybe we needed to run an errand, whatever it may be I would ask Isaac to be the messenger. Well, Isaac gets distracted. So we've started giving him a script if we need something. For instance: "Isaac go tell Daddy that I need help with Amelia for a minute. Mommy says that Daddy NEEDS to come inside." Then we have him repeat it back to us and then proceed to deliver the message. He does better with a script instead of just having him wing it and getting distracted.

Several weeks ago when we were working on our patio cover we had tools everywhere.  The chop saw was on the ground in the back yard, other saws on the deck, stuff everywhere.  The power tools were always unpluged when we weren't using them and Chloe and Isaac knew to stay clear.  The twins really weren't allowed in the first part of our yard, we took them to the playhouse or to the swings.  The kids knew to respect the tools and that they were dangerous. 

One morning while Royce was working on the patio I had the girls down for naps and I got in the shower.  Isaac was home that day and was being a 'worker boy' dressed just like his daddy.  Work jeans, tennis shoes, white muscle t-shirt, and a hat.  Isaac loves being a worker boy with his dad.  So the boys were working and I got in the shower.  Just as I had rinsed the shampoo from my hair I heard Isaac talking on the other side of the bathroom door.  Between the door and the running water I could only hear a muffled voice so I told him to open the door and come in to talk to me. 

Isaac: "MOM.  It's a REAL emergency." In a very low, serious voice
Me:  "It's what?"  I had heard him, but wanted to make sure....
Isaac:  "It's a REAL emergency."
Me:  "It's an emergency?" Starting to panic a bit.
Isaac:  "Ya, Daddy gots a blood finger.  It's a real emergency."  Notice the script???
Me:  "Daddy has a blood finger?"
Isaac:  "Ya, Daddy cut his finger and gots a blood finger."  Still a low, serious voice.
Me:  "Seriously??" said as I'm turning off the water, leaping from the shower, skipping the towel, grabbing my robe and am running naked through the house trying to throw my robe around me while picturing Royce's finger hacked off with the chop saw which he WAS using.

I got to the back door and saw Royce squatted over the chop saw....working away.  Using both hands, working away.  I barely had the robe around me so from the door I peeked out and said to him, "Are you okay?" to which he turned around and looked at me and said, "Ya, why?"  At this point Isaac squeezed by me through the doorway with a bandaid.  "Here's your bandaid, Dad!" he says proud as can be.  I said, "So you don't have a blood finger and it's NOT a real emergency?"  Obviously Royce knew those words could have only come from one source and he started laughing.  "No, but I did get a tiny cut and asked Isaac to get me a bandaid."  I continued with "So you didn't send Isaac into the bathroom to get me out of the shower, tell me it was a REAL emergency, that 'Daddy gots a blood finger' so I would come running out here soaking wet?"  "Nope" said Royce, "sure didn't." 

Huh.  What d'ya do.


No comments:

Post a Comment