Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New Year!

I really don't have anything exciting to update everyone on in our lives. We've been busy recovering from the holidays but we've enjoyed every minute of it. We hosted 5 events in 7 days at our house and couldn't have been happier to do so. No driving, no hauling gifts, no squeezing everyone into the 3 or 4 days would have been back in WaKeeney to have all the Christmas celebrations at once. It was great. Our move has truly ended up to be everything we had hoped for. Yes, next year it won't be our turn to host and we'll have to travel a bit to the local family around here, but we're happy to make those little drives instead of the long haul we usually did.

I don't have any pictures to post. I dropped my camera on Christmas Eve so it's a the repair shop. I just busted the little ring that opens and closes the lens so I believe it should be able to be fixed, but go figure. The kids can get hold of it and be fine and I open it on the kitchen floor and drop it. So the pictures I posted late on Christmas Eve were from my mom's camera.

Royce has enjoyed hunting a few days this last week. Mom and Ron kept the kids for New Years so we could have some fun. It was strange not eating dinner until 7:30 or 8:00 in the evening and then actually going somewhere after that. We went to a ballroom here in Hays that had a band. They were really good, but we only knew a few people. So we left at 11 and went to where Robynn and Dustin were hanging out. It was a fun group and we're glad we were able to join them. So New Years Day Royce and Dustin went hunting and Robynn and I went to lunch and to see The Blind Side. What a great movie. I even caught another movie with mom and Chloe on Sunday. Mom took Chloe to her first movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks the squeaqual. It was cute and Chloe loved it. She was really sad when the movie was over because she wanted it to keep going. Two movies in just a few days for me is some sort of record for the decade for me. I don't see two movies a year anymore. One of the many reasons I'm glad to be living here. Robynn and I have caught several movies together and it's great.

Royce and I are also attempting to take up another hobby. Reading. Yes, reading. Neither Royce or I have picked up a book on our own will in years. Seriously, for me it has probably been 15 years and I'm only 26 years old. I do not enjoy reading. I wish I did, but I sure don't. But I don't want my kids to feel the same way. Royce's NY resolution is to read four books, all of different types (history, fiction, non-fiction, etc.). He figures if he can do one a quarter then he'll be doing okay. He started reading his dad's book the other night. Wayne has written a book that has compiled all of his letters home from Vietnam while he was over there. He is hoping to get it published this year but has copies of it for all of us to read. I started reading a book that Robynn left in my car after we were shopping together. It's 406 pages and I do have every intention of finishing it. It's called Barefoot and is just about the lives of three women one summer. I'm enjoying it so far. So Sunday night Royce and I did something we have NEVER done...we both read by the fire. Cheesy, right?!?!? It only lasted about 30-45 minutes, but it was nice. I'm not sure we'll ever find a time where at least one of us isn't watching a game or something to where it'll happen again, but hey, we can try!

Okay, enough about our boring lives. We hope you all had a great Christmas season and that God is keeping you all safe and healthy. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. You guys have to learn to read! It's a family thing! (Well...for the women anyway!) But, what a good Resolution, and a good example for the kids too. You don't have to read books, you can read magazines too, just so the kids SEE you reading :) (the librarian will now go away.)

    ReplyDelete